Frieda Wiley, PharmD, BCGP, RPh
I’m a freelance medical and science writer who solves communications problems for my clients one word at a time. I also just happen to be a licensed pharmacist and former chemist with the whole alphabet soup thing behind my name. But don’t let that mislead you: I am a writer.
Having won my first writing award in the first grade, I consider myself a writer first and a scientist second. I began my career working as a chemist analyzing solutions for an aerospace company whose main customer was the United States Navy, but I sought out opportunities to write whenever they presented—whether it meant drafting a lab report, drawing up work orders, or tweaking a standard operating procedure. A few years later, my path became clear when I published my first magazine article and marketing materials while in pharmacy school: I wanted to write.
Today, I draw from my diverse professional experiences in chemistry, the pharmaceutical industry, and pharmacy practice to produce content in plain language as well as in complex jargon for scientific and medical professionals. I enjoy my work and believe it illustrates my commitment to serve others by crafting meaningful content end users find helpful.
My current and past client history includes:
Professional Track Record:
- Contract/Freelance Medical Writer and Business Owner
- Corporate writing experience from Procter & Gamble
- Scientific writing as a former analytical chemist in the aerospace industry
- Slide deck and e-learning writing as a pharmacist
- Plain Certificate Workshop Certificate of Completion, University of Houston Downtown (2016 & 2018)
- Board Certified Geriatric Pharmacist (BCGP), 2013-2018
- Doctorate of Pharmacy, University of the Incarnate Word
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, University of Texas at Austin
- Bachelor of Arts in Spanish, University of Texas at Austin
- American Medical Writers Association National Communications Committee Member
- American Medical Writers Association Southwest Chapter 2018 Conference Chair
- University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston Consortium on Aging Member, 2014- present, Hot Topics Planning Committee, 2017- 2018
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences Regulatory Sciences’ Section Student/Postdoctoral Outreach Committee Chair, 2010
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences Regulatory Sciences’ Section Student Representative (2008-2010)
- John Jay/Langeloth College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York (CUNY) “Rethinking Solitary Confinement” Journalism Fellow 2018
- Association of Health Care Journalist Rural Health Journalism Fellow, 2015 & 2016
- American Association of Pharmaceutical Sciences Regulatory Sciences’ Section Certificate of Recognition, 2009
- Procter & Gamble 2007 Annual Intern Talent Show- 2nd Place for playing the piano
*** A CV is available upon request.